The school is first mentioned in 1843 and so is one of the oldest Catholic schools in Liverpool. The building above opened in 1857.
When the school moved to new premises (above right); the building then became the Challoner Hall Catholic Social Club. Peter Challoner had funded the building of the Church. The Challoner family are also linked with St Vincent de Paul.