In May the committee appointed Mr J LINDENTHAL as Hebrew teacher in the Society school at a salary of £20 per year; they also read testimonials from Benjamin CARRICK, who was offered 52 guineas per year to work as English teacher in the society school. They obtained rooms from Mrs BLEVINS in Suffolk St (Hannah, wife of a printer with a very large family) for a weekly rent of 5s., where they aimed to ‘afford a good plain English education as well as Hebrew and religious instruction’. The school opened on 21st June 1841 with 10 boys, rising to 28 by April 1842. The girls’ department was established in February 1844, and an Infants’ Department from 1875. The school was based in Nelson St (at the former Whitnall’s School) and at 7, Slater St before finally moving into the new school building on the corner of Pilgrim St and Hope Place in May 1854. It was built next to the Synagogue (see below) which closed in 1937; now site of the Unity Theatre.
The school was supported by a number of charitable institutions, including the Ladies’ Soup Committee (from November 1854) and the Jewish Boys’ Clothing Society (from July 1867). Old Boys’ and Old Girls’ Associations were established from the turn of the 20th Century
Many former pupils returned to teach in the school, including Peter ABRAHAMS, Celia BERMAN, Annie and Joseph BEST, Fanny GOODMAN, Louis GRABOIS, Hannah GRAJINSKI, Samuel LEVY, Louisa REED, Fanny SCHNITZLANDER, Aaron SCHOCK and Rachel SERABSKI. Other teachers included Benjamin MOSES (appointed 1923) The schools were also supported by the King David Foundation.
In 1910 the staff list read: Solomon LEVY, Peter ABRAHAMS, Samuel H LEVY, Louis GRABOIS, Miriam KRESNER, Hannah GRAJINSKY, Miss WOLFSOHN, Fanny GOODMAN, Louisa REED, Rachel SERABSKI, Miss MESTONE, Miss FRENK, Miss GUINSBURG, Miss BENAZON, Mioss EPSTONE, Miss L WOLFSOHN, Miss B BEST and Miss G PHILIPS. Mr SILVER was receiving a pensions and, amongst others, Mr KAISER was running evening classes.
By 1911, the school had appointed as Infants’ Mistress Ethel STUART who continued at the school until the 1930s.